The academic work of Indiana University is done by individuals holding academic appointments in different classifications. The classification chosen is directly associated with the responsibilities of the faculty member.
To find a brief description of requirements, limitations, and benefits for the faculty type you are considering, choose that type in the top drop-down, and click on “View Results.” To compare two types, make a choice in both drop-downs before clicking on “View Results.”
For approval to extend an offer, an aggregated packet must include the appropriate cover sheet, a draft offer letter, the candidate’s CV, and any other required items for the particular type of hire intended. This applies to all the appointment types below where OAA approval is indicated.
- Research scientist positions and postdocs do not need a search BUT OAA approval of offer letters is required; use email to send the offer letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Research associate positions must be approved as positions prior to any hire.
Substantive changes in a draft offer (after initial approval) must be approved by the Office of Academic Affairs (ude[dot]iupui[at]rhdaca): more than 5% change in salary or start-up funding, 10-month vs. 12-month, rank, and credit towards tenure. Changes in start date do not need review.
Review the Faculty Career Timelines for decision points for a faculty appointment. (Refer to this information for appointments in the School of Medicine, which has a longer probationary period for tenure-track faculty).
Tenured and Tenure-Track
Tenured and tenure-track faculty are responsible for teaching, research, and service. Through this work, and through their participation in faculty governance, tenure-track faculty and librarians have primary responsibility for the accomplishment and the integrity of the university’s academic mission.
Titles are professor/librarian, associate professor/associate librarian, and assistant professor/assistant librarian. Initial appointment may be for one, two or three years.
- Tenure-Track offer letter template, cover sheet/required documentation
- Tenured offer letter template, cover sheet/required documentation
- Administrative Appointment offer letter template, cover sheet/required documentation
Clinical appointments are those in which the primary duties are teaching and service, including providing professional service in the clinical setting.
Titles are clinical professor, clinical associate professor, and clinical assistant professor. The initial appointment may be for one, two, or three years.
- Clinical Track offer letter template and cover sheet/required documentation
Lecturers are responsible for teaching, and for research and service that support teaching. Titles are lecturer, senior lecturer, and teaching professor. The initial appointment may be for one, two, or three years.
- Lecturer Track offer letter template and cover sheet/required documentation
Scientists/Scholars are responsible solely for research. Titles are senior scientist/scholar, associate scientist/scholar, assistant scientist/scholar, or alternatively, senior research professor, associate research professor, assistant research professor. These are individuals who have the terminal degree.
Research associates are individuals who normally do not have the terminal degree, and work under the direction of a faculty member or scientist/scholar doing research. Consider staff positions instead.
The initial appointment is for one year or is dependent upon funding dates.
- Research associate positions must be approved before being searched and filled. Review required documentation.
- For research scientists (assistant, associate, and full) send a draft offer letter and CV to ude[dot]iupui[at]rhdaca.
- No approval is needed for postdoc academic appointees.
Faculty may be hired as visiting assistant, associate, full professors, visiting clinical assistant, associate, full professor, visiting lecturers, senior lecturers, or teaching professors, visiting research associates, or visiting research scientists.
A search must be used in some circumstances. View guidance for visiting faculty search and appointments.
All offers must be approved by the Office of Academic Affairs via ude[dot]iupui[at]rhdaca. Please see the coversheet for details.
- Visiting Faculty coversheet and offer letter template
Associate (Adjunct) Faculty
These are individuals hired for only teaching on a less than full-time basis, usually one semester at a time. They are strictly limited in FTE: if in a 10
New academic specialist positions are not being authorized at IUPUI.
Professor of Practice
This classification is appropriate for individuals who have achieved excellence in a field of practice, and who have attained a position of regional, national, and even international prominence. Professors of Practice may be assigned instructional responsibilities, along with activities in support of student development and placement. Professor of Practice appointments must be confirmed by the vote of the faculty in the home department or school.
Endowed Chairs and Professorships
Schools frequently receive funding to endow faculty, giving the faculty member a title reflective of the endowment (i.e., the John Adams Professorship in American History). In order to award an endowed title to a faculty member, there is a specific process to be followed, similar to submission of an offer packet for a new hire.
This packet consists of:
- Letters of nomination/recommendation from the department chair and school dean;
- Current CV of the faculty member being nominated;
- A copy of the donor intent form;
- Six arms-length external letters of recommendation; at least three should specifically address the endowed position specifically.
See this checklist. This aggregated packet should be emailed to Office of Academic Affairs at ude[dot]iupui[at]rhdaca. It will then be submitted to the Titled Professors Committee for their review and recommendation. If positive, the packet is then sent to the chief academic officer and to the chancellor for their review and approval. Finally, the nomination is reported to the Board of Trustees and the university president. (School of Medicine endowed/titled professors are reviewed by IUSM processes).
Community and International Volunteers
Frequently individuals in the local or international community provide important service to our faculty and students and to the campus mission, in a manner that justifies recognition by assigning an honorary title. At IUPUI, these titles include:
- International Scholar
- International Associate
- International Affiliate
- Community Scholar
- Community Associate
- Visiting Community Associate
- For international volunteers, a Personal Profile Form and a copy of the individual's passport is required.
Reviewed and revised 3/9/2023. Questions, ude[dot]iupui[at]rhdaca.
This is a critical stable page that is linked to the Guidebook.