"Do what you love, love what you do."
I am the proud mom of a high school senior. As a person originally from the East Coast, I miss and love being near bodies of water and fresh seafood. I love to travel, cook, and read, all for pleasure. I love to spend spare time with family and friends. I also enjoy quiet time and try to practice meditation when I can. I like being out in nature, taking photos of flowers and recording bird songs.
"Librarians: Bringing Balzac to River City since...forever!"
A long time ago I was going to be a history professor: I’ve taken Latin, German, French, and Greek. Then I discovered a love for data management in the context of library science—who would have guessed? One of my students did a report on women diagnosed with autism as adults: there’s a lot I find familiar in that. COVID added knitting and jigsaw puzzles to my previous hobbies of crocheting, baking, and mildly competent piano playing; now I’m potting. I read faster than anybody I know (my super-power) but all of my hobbies are wordless. I love my church, my neighborhood, and the IUPUI mission. Starting July 2022, I’m on phased retirement!
- To schedule an appointment, contact serroT siseneG
- Strategic development, administration, and evaluation of equity education opportunities among all ranks of faculty.
- Research national trends on diversity, equity, and inclusion in higher education.
- Development of instructional materials to inform educational activities.
“We encounter each other in words, words spiny or smooth, whispered or declaimed, words to consider, reconsider” - Elizabeth Alexander
My discipline of study is literacy and thus I love language and focus on how it is used, what it conveys, and what it creates more so than simply describes. The poet Elizabeth Alexander describes individual words with power as “language that shimmers.” I really enjoy listening to the language people use. Sometimes I focus on a particular word someone articulates and ask myself, why did they use that word? How does it point to who they are? What does that word convey about their experiences/ understandings?
Beyond my intense interest in language, I really enjoy lifting weights; I focus on one body part per day in the gym (e.g. Monday: legs, Tuesday: arms, etc.) and love taking walks with my pug, Samson.
- Direct and advise academic processes including faculty searches, leaves, appointments, emeritus/emerita requests, retirements
- Process management for the IUPUI Promotion and Tenure Committee
- Direct all operations of the IUPUI Faculty Council
- Leadership of Faculty Boards of Review (faculty grievances)
"The grammar nerd!"
I love IUPUI! I've spent all my professional life here obtaining two degrees along the way.
I daydream about living in a beach house in Daytona with my husband. I have three children, five grandchildren, one dog, nine fish, and my mother lives with us full-time. I love to garden (flowers), go on cruises, crochet, and listen to audiobooks. I'm a Christian which defines who I am.
Don't touch the corner piece of cake--all of them are MINE! My lifelong (non-realistic) dream has been to visit the Great Pyramids and put my hand on a block of stone, which suddenly moves opening up an undiscovered tomb. Sadly, I can tell you what happens in all of the Brady Bunch episodes.
Since I read a lot, I keep a list of every book I read every year (catch me on Goodreads). Favorite authors: Stephen King, Stuart Woods, Janet Evanovich, James Patterson, and Lillian Jackson Braun.
“A clear horizon — nothing to worry about on your plate, only things that are creative and not destructive… I think that’s as happy as I’ll ever want to be.” – Alfred Hitchcock
- Favorite author: Agatha Christie, favorite character: Poirot
- Favorite travel: On a mountain, in a tent – anywhere
- Favorite past time: Working the daily cryptoquip
"Keep at it and you will succeed."
Anything computer related, from the basic word processor to full office networked integration and security.
I have also lived in Minnesota and Michigan
Own 2 dachshunds - very lively and full of excitement
Met Jay Leno at a McDonalds in Las Vegas
“Never tell me the odds.”
- I worked at Disney World as a Safari Guide on Kilimanjaro Safaris in Animal Kingdom and opened the Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser.
- I have a goal to be a published writer, and might get my Masters here at IUPUI.
- I love working out and lifting weights – so much so that I wake up at 4 a.m. to go before work!
"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." -Nelson Mandela
- Indy transplant from NYC.
- I love to cook, bake, and spend time with my husband and 2 kids Joey and Leia (yes, after Princess Leia).
- I dream of living on a homestead and growing and preserving all of my family’s own food.