Office of Academic Affairs
The executive vice chancellor serves as the chief academic officer at IUPUI. Reporting to the chancellor, Dr. Nasser Paydar provides leadership for all academic units and serves as chief executive officer in the chancellor's absence.
The mission of the Office of Academic Affairs is to create and support an environment that advances our institutional mission of achieving international distinction in education, scholarship, and public service. The office provides leadership for continuous improvement in academic programs; faculty development; and, ultimately, student success.
Priorities for the Executive Vice Chancellor:
- Foster a culture of internal collaboration that encourages the crossing of departmental and disciplinary boundaries to take full advantage of the extraordinary interdisciplinary learning and research opportunities on campus.
- Strengthen the campus identity among students, faculty, staff, alumni, and community stakeholders and advance the agenda of IUPUI as a whole, emphasizing the cohesive development of the liberal arts and sciences as well as the health and professional disciplines.
- Continue improvement of the campus learning environment, student life, the quality of undergraduate education, and the undergraduate retention rate.
- Promote a dynamic learning environment that prepares students to be enlightened, articulate, and engaged citizens in a global society.
- Secure support for the continuing development of graduate and research programs, particularly innovative interdisciplinary programs, that are critical to the IUPUI research mission and national reputation.
- Find additional sources of revenue to counterbalance the national trend of leveling state support.
- Foster diversity in policies and practices and support a climate of inclusion for all members of the university community.
- Position IUPUI as a transformative force and a civic partner with the city and state in the continuing economic and cultural development of Central Indiana.
Nasser Paydar, Ph.D.
In 2012, Nasser Paydar became Executive Vice Chancellor and Chief Academic Officer of IUPUI, a core campus of Indiana University and the State's urban research and academic health sciences campus. Professor Paydar joined Indiana University in 1985 as an Assistant Professor of Mechanical Engineering in the Purdue School of Engineering and Technology at IUPUI. From 1989 to 2003, he served the School of Engineering and Technology as Chairman of the Department of Mechanical Engineering, Associate Dean for Graduate Programs, Associate Dean for Academic Programs, and Executive Associate Dean. In Spring 2004, Professor Paydar became responsible for the Indiana University-Purdue University Columbus (IUPUC) Center as Vice Chancellor and Dean. In 2007, Nasser Paydar was appointed as the Interim Chancellor of Indiana University East. He became Chancellor of Indiana University East in 2009.
Nasser Paydar is a graduate of Syracuse University with a Ph.D. from the Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering. He has extensive publications in scientific journals in the area of solid mechanics with applications in electronic packaging and biomechanics. Nasser Paydar has been principal and co-principal investigator of research grants from National Institutes of Health, Cummins Electronics, Carrier Electronics, Delco Electronics Corporations, Rockwell International, DePuy Inc., US Army, and U.S. Naval Air Warfare Center.
More Information: Complete CV